(Click on any picture to see them clearer)
History of the McPhee Clan
Tartan and Clan Motto
Maps of the McPhee Clan Seat: Isle of Colonsay
This McPhee Family History in Scotland PDF File
This Mulberry Family History in Ireland PDF File
McPhee/Mulberry Family Photo Gallery
Chronology of the Movement of the 145th Regiment
Other Chafe/McPhee Scottish/Irish Links
Mowbray/Mulberry Family Lineage in England/Ireland
HISTORY OF THE MCPHEE CLAN
The earliest form of the Macfie surname was Mac Dubhsithe or 'Son of the Dark One of Peace'. The People of Peace was the euphemism used to speak of those that lived under the hill - the Fairy Folk. The name Macfie is also said to derive from its older version MacDuffie which is itself derived from the Gaelic Mac Dhuibh-Shith meaning 'Son of the Dark Fairy or Elf'. In ancient times, fairies were not the tiny, cute, winged creatures as they are now portrayed. In fact, the word "banshee" means simply 'woman fairy'. This stems from the tradition that the Macfies had been in touch with the fairy folk that lived under the hills and in many countries the remnants of the original bearers of the name have been conferred with mystic powers. In modern Gaelic this name is written as 'Maca'phi'. In 1164 Duibhshith was known to have been 'ferleighinn', or 'reader', at Iona when Malcolm lV was king. Mac means "son of". The "Ph" family was used in the regions of Lochaber, North and South Uist and Mull.
Tradition asserts that the Macfies/MacDuffies are descended from a Selkie or seal woman who cast off her fur to become a beautiful woman and marrying the first Macfie who hid her fur so that she could not return to the sea. Even in a country so steeped in mystery and mysticism as Scotland, you would be very hard pressed to find a clan whose roots are so dark and mysterious.
We are told by Dr. George F. Black in The Surnames of Scotland that the name Macfie is 'one of the oldest and most interesting personal names we possess'. Dr. Gillies adds in Place-names of Argyllshire that 'It is plan and concept go far away beyond those of even our old names'. The MacFies are also said to hail from Kenneth MacAlpine, King of Scots, although there is no recorded early history of this side of the clan. Based on the carvings found on MacFie tombstones the clan was made up of warriors and churchmen, the clan was also Royalist. A Clan presence in Lochaber, Galloway and on several other Hebridean islands is also evident from the earliest times.
The Clan founder could have been Murdoch, son of Fearchar Ruadh, son of Cormac; 1st Bishop of Dunkeld, who was probably a priest of the Celtic Catholic Church in the 12th century. Earle Douglas MacPhee's research points to the clan migrating to the island of Oronsay off the west coast of Scotland around the 10th to 12th centuries. The ancestral home of the Macfies is the island of Colonsay, a small island about 2 miles by 10 miles among the Inner Hebrides, off western Argyllshire. The clan's burial place was the island of Oronsay.
The early years of Clan history had their turbulent periods as well as those of stability and honour. The islands of Colonsay and Oronsay were visited by the Vikings during their domination of the Western Isles and used as a base for raids to the south. MacDuffith, Lord of Colonsay was one of the chiefs who rallied to Bruce. There was Macfie contact with Iona in 1164 which led to the building of the Augustinian priory on Oronsay some 160 years later with a MacDuffie traditionally the Prior. The MacDonald's owned the islands when the MacDuffies became a consul for the island in the 13th century. They joined the MacDonald's in battles along the western shores against the MacLean's, Campbell's and the other large clans .
The Macfies of Colonsay were the hereditary keepers of the records of the records of Man and the Isles. There is a tradition that one of the chiefs of Colonsay fought and overcame Sire Gile de Argentine at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, probably in support of the Lord of the Isles. In 1335 Edward Balliol granted Colonsay to John MacDonald. The McDonald annalist records that a MacDuffie of Colonsay was in the forces of Donald Balloch when he raised a rebellion on behalf of the Lord of the Isles in 1431. Another variation of this story is Angus McPhee of Colonsay who went to Glenpen to fight under the banner of Sir Donald Ballaig (a MacDonald from Dunnivaig, Islay), at Inverlochy in 1431. On the island of Iona there is a tombstone commemorating Malcolm MacDuffie, who married the sister of John Maclan of Ardnamurchan, one of the most powerful of the clan Donald 15th-century chieftains. In 1463 Macfie of Colonsay appears as a member of the Council of the Isles.
During the Middle Ages these islands lay within the MacDonald Lordship of the Isles, Oronsay and a southern portion of Colonsay having been granted to Oronsay Priory. The MacDuffies or MacFies held Colonsay under the superiority of the MacDonalds and retained the island on lease from the crown following the forfeiture of the MacDonalds in 1493. Malcolm III MacDuffie was styled 'Lord of Dunevin on Colonsay' on an Iona tombstone dated to c.1490-1520. The Macfie Chief was the hereditary Custodian of the Records of the MacDonald Lords of the Isles.
The Macfies continued to be loyal to the McDonalds even after the Hebrides were ceded to Scotland in 1494 by the king of Denmark on the marriage of his daughter, Princess Margaret, to James III. This established the legal claim of the Scots Crown to control of the island kingdoms, a policy which was to be ruthlessly enforced by James IV. In 1531 Macfie of Colonsay was cited for treason, still being a supporter of the forfeited Lordship of the Isles. Clan clashes with the Macleans of Durat on Mull were frequent in the latter part of that century. In 1549 the Isle of Colonsay, was recorded to be under the sway of "ane gentle Capitane called MacDuffyhe". His descendants would hold the Isle until the middle of the 17th century. In 1549 a Macfie is recorded as holding lands on Jura in addition to those on Colonsay.
n 1609 Donald Macfie of Colonsay was one of the twelve chiefs and gentlemen who met the Bishop Knox of the Isles at Iona where, with their consent, the celebrated 'Statues of Icolmkill' were enacted. They established a regular clergy, abolished temporary marriages, set up inns, expelled beggars, restricted the import of liquor and prohibited firearms. Children had to be sent to school. In 1610 the Crown granted the island as part of the Ardnamurchan barony to the Earl of Argyll, thus removing the MacDuffies from the rights of "immemorial occupation" of Colonsay.
In 1615 Malcolm MacFie of Colonsay joined Sir James McDonald, chief of the MacDonalds, in the southern islands in his rebellion against the Earl of Argyle in an unsuccessful attempt to regain the MacDonald inheritance. MacFie and eighteen other conspirators were betrayed to the Campbell's by Coll Kitto MacDonald (Coll Kittoch) and were forced or tricked into signing the infamous 'Statutes of Iona' and abandoning the Lordship of the Isles. Malcom Macfie of Colonsay, of whom many strange tales are told regarding him and his black dog (from which the term "every dog has its day" hails), was released from custody after the rebellion. Sir Thomas Innes of Learney, former Lord Lyon King of Arms, states in his "The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland" that that Malcolm was murdered in 1623. This date is also on the Bronze Plaque mounted on the Standing Stone re-erected in 1977 on Balaruminmore, Colonsay. In 1630 the King gave Oronsay to Lord Lorne Campbell. Between 1690 and 1715 and number of the family populated the counties of Ulster in Ireland. In 1701 the islands were sold by the 10th Earl (later 1st Duke) of Argyll to Malcolm McNeill of the family of McNeill of Crear in Knapdale.
As a result of the Statute, the Macfies were dispossessed and became a 'broken clan', some following the McDonalds, while most went to the mainland to find shelter in Lochaber and Lochiel. A Macfie was one of two pipers at Glenfinnan when Bonnie Prince Charlie raised his banner there in 1745. Many Macfies followed Cameron of Lochiel in the second line into the Battle of Culloden in 1746. Some went to Galloway and took the name Macguffie and Machaffie. Many others settled on the shores of Ireland where they were called Macheffie or Macafee.
Much of the power of the Clan system was broken after the Battle of Culloden (1746) which clansmen such as Ewen or Owen M'Phee fought and became a prisoner. The Clan Chiefs who participated in the revolt were forced to forfeit their lands to the Crown in England. Shortly after the defeat, laws were passed resulting in land reform that totally changed the way of life in the Highlands. In the latter half of the 18th century, there was a population explosion in Scotland, which reached its peak in the 1830s. The population of the Highlands rose from 115,000 in 1755 to 154,000 in 1801 and to 201,000 by 1831. It was caused mainly by the virtual eradication of smallpox through injection and the introduction of potatoes, which grew easily in poor soil and provided a basic diet. Famine hit Scotland in 1740, 1756, 1778, 1782-3, 1799-1800 and 1845-46. The discovery that a new breed of sheep starting in 1790, called the Cheviot, was hardy to enough to withstand the rigors of the climate. It gave the landowners and Chieftains the opportunity for higher rents to meet the burden of costs of an aristocratic lifestyle. What the landlords thought of as necessary improvements, became known as the Highland Clearances or Highland Diaspora.
Many Chieftains engaged Lowland, or sometimes English, factors with expertise in more profitable sheep farming, and they 'encouraged', sometimes forcibly, the population to move off the land. The people were accommodated in poor crofts or small farms in coastal areas where farming or fishing could not sustain the communities, or they were directly put on emigration ships. The prejudice against the highlanders customs, language and dress was acute. People pushed to the coast encountered huge rent increases and over-fishing and over-kelping resulted in destitution and starvation.
In 1791 the (Customs) Board sent a considerable number of people from Colonsay to North Carolina (McDuffies may have been there as early as 1710). In September 1806 the ship "Spencer" landed at Prince Edward Island with over one hundred people from the island of Colonsay. The population of the island was 718 in 1792, peaked at 979 in 1841, 837 in 1851, 598 in 1861, 456 in 1871, 397 in 1881, 313 in 1901 and 138 in 1971. The potato famine in 1846 and later years significantly affected the population. Fifty percent of the parish in Colonsay between 1785 and 1818 were spelled McFee or MacFie. In 1841 the island of Colonsay held 25 McFee's, 4 McFie and 4 McPhee (3% of the island population). Meanwhile between 1801 and 1871 the population of Scotland doubled. But at the same time the Clan emigrated to all the major colonies on the eastern shores on America; from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia, from Pennsylvania to South Carolina. From there over the next century they moved to the interior of the US and Canada. Duffy's and McPhees moved to Australia likely starting with the soldiers such as Captain Donald MacPhee in 1832. New Zealand, South Africa and the British Caribbean islands were other destinations.
One of the last Scottish 'outlaws' was Ewen Macphee, who lived c.1842. After deserting the army, he settled with his family on an island on Loch Quoich. He lived there with no law, no landowner, and stayed until his old age until finally the law caught up with him and he was removed for sheep stealing.
As in Ireland, the potato crop failed in the early 19th century, and a widespread outbreak of cholera further weakened the Highland population. The ongoing Clearance policy resulted in starvation, death and migration. As there were few local alternatives, many emigrated to Canada, Australia or America, joined the British army, or moved to the growing urban cities, like Glasgow, Edinburgh and the north of England. Between 1841 and 1861 the West Highlands and Islands lost one third of their population. 38% of the 170,000 people displaced by the Clearances were from the islands.
- The Glengarry Clearances: The clearances proper, or the forcible evictions, began in earnest in 1785, where one of the better known chiefs, MacDonell of Glengarry, allowed his wife Marjorie to evict tenants from Glen Quoich to make room for sheep. From 1783 to 1790, 6,200 people were displaced.
- The Strathglass Clearances: In 1801, William, the 24th Chisholm, whose wife was the daughter of Marjorie MacDonell began the clearances in Strathglass. In one years time, half of the clans were evicted and many sailed for Canada and Nova Scotia. Over 10,000 Strathglass clansmen were evicted or emigrated from 1801-1809. From 1801 to 1807, 20,000 people were displaced.
- The Sutherland Clearances: The greatest Clearance was the Englishman George Granville Leveson-Gower, Marquess of Stafford. He was the richest landowner in Britain, holding vast estates in England. These clearances happened between 1807 and 1821. From 1810 to 1820, 25,000 people were displaced.
- Later Clearances from 1821 to 1883 accounted to 113,000 individuals.
The need for labour in Glasgow was brought on by the Industrial Revolution. Glasgow was a major textile centre supplied by the wool from the newly opened sheep farms. People from all around Scotland and Ireland came to the city for employment, the vast majority living under impoverished conditions Glasgow's population grew from 77,000 in 1801 to 147,000 in 1821 to 350,00 in 1851 (with one quarter of the inhabitants Irish).
The estate passed through various lateral branches of the same family until the death of Sir John Carstairs McNeill in 1904, and it was subsequently purchased by the 1st Lord Strathcona.
Donald Alexander Smith (1820-1914) was born in Forres, in Morayshire, Scotland. He emigrated to Lower Canada in 1838 to work for the Hudson's Bay Company starting in the Labrador area. He moved his way up the HBC company, eventually becoming president. He helped create what would later become the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. He was actively involved in the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway, driving in the last spike in 1885. He was involved in banking, a Canadian member of parliment, and invested in Persian oil. He donated money to many Montreal institutions including McGill as well as those in London. In 1894 he had acquired a large estate in the Scottish Highlands. In 1897 Lord Strathcona was created a peer of the realm, taking the title "Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal of Glencoe, Argyllshire and Mount Royal". In 1904 he purchased Colonsay in the Inner Hebrides from the McNeill's. He rarely visited the island but it became the favourite haunt of his family. His great-great grandson Euan Howard, 5th Baron Strathcona is now in possession of the property and lives at Colonsay House built in 1715 by a McNeill. In the house is the last spike his grandfather drove that completed the rail line across Canada.
In 1864 Grants of Arms were made to Robert Macfie of Langhouse and Airds and to Robert Andrew Macfie of Dreghorn, the first Clan members to be so honoured in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland. This Register had come into being in 1677, 54 years after the Clan’s last Chief was murdered. These Macfies were highly successful businessmen in the sugar industry and R. A. Macfie was elected Member of Parliament for Leith for a number of years. The company was eventually to be taken over by the present sugar giants Tate & Lyle. The strap and buckle badge commonly depicted to-day as being that of Clan Macfie actually belongs to the Macfie of Dreghorn.
Sadly, many of the clan were so destitute that they could make no permanent home, and today the name is most closely associated with the wandering tin-smiths known as 'tinkers'. On May 27th, 1981 the Clan Macfie was recognized and reactivated by the Lord Lyon and many of the Clan Macfie celebrate the anniversary of this day.
The MacFies of Langhouse, Renfrewshire, are the most prominent branch of this clan, while the MacFies of Dreghorn are a cadet line. The Clan name to-day is Macfie, the spelling recognised by the Lyon Court in Scotland and used by many of the Clan’s clan societies around the world.
TARTAN AND CLAN MOTTO
Branches: Dreghorn MacFies
Gaelic Name: Mac Dubh-shithe; Son of the Dark One of Peace, Mac Dhuibh-Shith; Son of Dark Fairy or Elf
Shield: Blue and gold, at the top a silver sword, and in base a black sailing ship.
Crest Badge: A demi-lion rampant, proper
Motto: Pro Rege - "For the King"
Clan Seat: Isle of Colonsay
Chief: MacDuffie of Colonsay
The Badge (Plant): Darag (Oak) or Dearca Fithich (Crowberry)
Tartan: The MacPhee or MacDuffie tartan appears to be of fairly modern origin, and is a variation of the red MacDonald. The thread count is: 2 white/yellow; 24 red; 4 green; 2 red; 32 green
MacPhee Clan Crest
MacPhee Clan Tartan
MacFie, McFie, MacPhee, McPhee, McAfie, MacAfie, McAfee, MacAfee, Cathie, Catheys, Curries, MacDuffie, McDuffie, MacDuphie, Makduffie, Duffy, M'Duffe, MacDhubsite, Mac-a-Phie, MacHaffie, Mahaffy, McIfie, McIphie, Fee, Phe, McPhe, Phee, MacPhie, McPhie, McAchopich, M'affeith, McAffie, McAphie, McCaffrey, McCafferty, Makcoffee, McKoffee, MacCuish, MacCowis, McDiffie, Macdoffy, Dufacious, Duphaci, Dubside, MacDufthi, McFeithe, Makfeithe, McFeye, Makfee, MacFee, Magoffin, McGuffie, MacGuffie, McPheir, MacPhietric, MacPhied.
MAPS OF THE MCPHEE CLAN SEAT: ISLE OF COLONSAY
Colonsay is just over eight miles from north to south, with a maximum width of three miles. Oronsay lies immediately to the south of Colonsay is three miles long and two miles wide, and joined to Colonsay by a tidal causeway.
Location and Map of the Island of Colonsay
A more complete history of Colonsay can be found at: http://www.colonsay.org.uk/history.html
The Island of Colonsay Community Website can be found at: http://www.colonsay.org.uk/
McPhee Clan: http://www.macfiesocietyofamerica.com/page_three.php?account=macfie
DNA Webtesting: http://www.mcduffiedna.com/
THIS MCPHEE FAMILY HISTORY IN SCOTLAND
The McPhee link in the Chafe family tree comes from the wife of Earl Chafe, Ruby McPhee. The earliest known family link starts with George McPhee (b.c.1785?) as documented by his grandson Peter (1881-1952) in a letter dated in 1945. The letter states that George's family moved to the "mainland" and alluded to Colonsay as his homeland. It is likely the family was forced off the island of Colonsay by poverty. George had two sisters and a brother; Margaret, Sarah and Henry. Margaret, Sarah and Henry all emigrated to Ireland near Macosquin (30 miles east of Londonderry) and their name changed to Macaphee. George appears also to have moved to Ireland where he had a son John (1811-?). John married his first wife Jennie? and possibly had children Robert, Charles, Agnes and Annie. With his second wife Anne Salt (Sault) he had children John (b.1849), James (b.1853-bef.1876) and Samuel (b.1860), all in Glasgow, located 75 miles to the west of Colonsay.
On June 16, 1876, James McPhee (hammerman) from 76-1/2 Kirk Street, Calton, Glasgow age 22, married Mary Burnett (cotton mill worker) from 40 Kirk Street age 21. Kirk Street is now Stevenson Street in downtown Glasgow, formerly the western boundary of Cathedral Square, being a continuation of High Street until it joined Castle Street. James's parents were John McPhee (blacksmith - deceased) and Ann Salt. Mary's parents were Lachlan Burnett (blacksmith - deceased) and Margaret Vaux (Vass). Some of the Vaux family had red hair. They had children Margaret, Robert, Peter Burnett (1881-1952), Caroline, John, James and Sam. Margaret and Caroline died in their infancy. Sam was killed in WWI (Canadian Infantry - Central Ontario Regiment, 3rd Bn.) at age 24 in the Battle of Ypres May 25, 1915. The battle of Ypres/Gravenstafe was where the Germans launched the ever first gas attack against the French and Canadian lines. 6,035 people died in the battle - one third of the Canadian Force.
Peter Burnett's birth certificate shows he was born in February 2nd, 1881, 50 Struthers Street, Glasgow. Struthers Street is now Tobago St. in downtown Glasgow.
Peter Burnett McPhee emigrated to Montreal in 1906 and married Rebecca Mulberry (1884-1952) in 1911. Rebecca had arrived in 1907 and worked for years with the affluent Reford family on Dorchester Ave. They had four children, Mary Burnett (1912-1994), John (Jack) Mulberry (1914-2000), Isabel Mulberry (1922-2005) and Ruby (1926- ). The family grew up in Longueuil on 535 Quinn Boulevard on the South Shore of Montreal.
3 1861 MCPHEE JAMES M 8 CALTON GLASGOW CITY LANARK 644/04 062/04 008
Calton Parish, Glasgow, 46 Union Place
John McPhee, head, age 50 (b.1811), tailor, born Ireland
Ann, wife, age 39 (b.1822), born Edinburghshire, Edinburough
John, son, age 12 (b.1849), ropemaker, born Lanark, Glasgow
James, son, age 8 (b.1853), born Lanark, Glasgow
Samuel, son, age 16 months? (b.1860), born Lanark, Glasgow
Isabella Mactaway, mother in law, age 58 (b.1803), born Lanark, Glasgow
1 1871 MCPHEE JAMES M 18 HUTCHESONTOWN GLASGOW CITY LANARK 644/10 001/10 022
127 So. Wellington, Govan, Glasgow
Family of James Hosie? with wife, 3 daughters and 2 sons
James McPhee, boarder, age 18 (b.1853), newspaper printer?, born Midlothian, Edinborough
1 1876 MCPHEE JAMES BURNETT MARY DENNISTOWN LANARK 644/03 0288
1876 16th June at 33 Caudy? Park Street, Glasgow, after banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland
James McPhee, hammerman, bachelor, age 22 (b.1854), 76 1/2 Kirk Street (now Stevenson Street), Carlton, Glasgow
Mary Burnett, cotton mill worker, spinster, age 21 (b.1855), 40 Kirk Street, Calton, Glasgow
John McPhee, blacksmith, deceased and Ann McPhee (ms Salt)
Lochlan Burnett, blacksmith, deceased and Margaret Burnett (ms Vaux)
Signed John Fairley, Minister, June 19 1876, Glasgow
Signed Charles McPhee (witness?) and Sophia? Lacey (witness?)
1 1881 MCPHEE PETER BURNETT M CALTON LANARK 644/04 0188
Peter Burnett McPhee, 1881, February Second 11h30m, 50 Struthers St.(now Tobago Street), Glasgow
Father James McPhee, hammerman, Mother Mary McPhee (ms Burnett)
Registered February 17th at Glasgow, James Moore Assistant Registrar
McDuffie DNA Surname Project: http://www.mcduffiedna.com
Global Y-Search Website: http://www.ysearch.org
Ybase Search Website: http://www.ybase.org
Family Tree DNA Website: http://www.ftdna.com
Arizona DNA Research: http://nitro.biosci.arizona.edu/ftDNA/TMRCA.html
Worldwide Geonographic Study: http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/index.html
DNA Testing requested by Ruby Mcphee (1926- ) of John McPhee, son of Jack McPhee (1914-2000) was undertaken in March 2005. The earliest family member that can be dated back is George McPhee born c.1820 likely from Colonsay. The results as of April 2005 are as follows, and will change over time as more DNA tests of this surname are made available:
Based on 19 McDuffies/McPhees in the McDuffie DNA Surname Project, there is no clear link to any individual for 25 markers. The only individual who comes close in the 1st 12 markers is John Duff, c.1814 Tennessee. This means a match of 50% of a common ancestor within the last 7 generations, up to a 90% change of a common ancestor within 23 generations. However the balance of the other markers show more deviation indicating probably between 28 to 38 generations away (c.1165).
A more interesting match is with other surnames in Great Britain from the Y-Link database. Perfect matches were found with 12 individuals on the 12 marker test (3 England, 3 Scotland and 6 Ireland) and one off matches with 31 individuals (4 England, 9 Scotland and 18 Ireland). Again a perfect marker match indicates a 90% match with 23 generations (c.1315), one offs indicate 90% match within 40 generations (c.805). Of these were two Irish families that had close matches; Donahue had 2 and Flanagan had 3. The Flanagan's were based out of Galway on the NW Irish coast, and Fermanagh in SW Ulster.
The R1b Haplogroup (HG1) means that the McPhee group are of Celtic origin. Male ancestors in the I Haplo group are "Viking" and came from Northern Scandinavia and prior to that when Scandinavia was covered with the ice sheet, from what is now Crotia. The R1a Haplo group has origins around the northern Caspian Sea area. McPhee male ancestors would have lived in the Basque area of Spain about 10,000 years ago. At this time Scotland and most of Ireland was covered in glacial ice. These folk spoke a language which is the predecessor of Scots Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Welsh, Cornish and Breton all of which have similarities. As the ice sheet receded they occupied Ireland particularly in the west. About 800AD they crossed to Scotland. In fact they went back and forth between Ulster and Argyll for many years.
Sort Order 1 Haplo 19 385a 385b 388 389i 389ii 390 391 392 393 426 437 439 447 448 449 454 455 458 459a 459b 464a 464b 464c 464d B77KS6 Ruby/John McPhee R1b 14 11 13 12 13 29 25 11 14 13 12 14 12 25 18 29 11 11 17 9 10 15 16 16 17
Sort Order 2 Haplo 393 390 19 391 385a 385b 426 388 439 389-1 392 389-2 458 459a 459b 455 454 447 437 448 449 464a 464b 464c 464d B77KS6 Ruby/John McPhee R1b 13 25 14 11 11 13 12 12 12 13 14 29 17 9 10 11 11 25 14 18 29 15 16 16 17
THIS MULBERRY FAMILY HISTORY IN IRELAND
Spelling variations of Mulberry include, Mowbray, Moubray, Mowbrey and Moubrey. First found in Northumberland where they were seated from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Motto: Virtue stands by its own strength.
The old English and Irish historical connection of the Mulberry family is covered in the Mowbray/Mulberry Family Lineage. The Irish Mowbrys' who later changed their name to Mulberry, were recorded settling in the Londonderry/Curryfree area in 1693. The Mowbrays were Scottish descendants of a very old and honoured English/Norman Moubray family.
John Mulberry's (1843?-1909) early days in Ireland are still a bit of a mystery but it is believed he was born circa 1830 in the Townland of Curryfree about 6 miles south of Londonderry. His mother Mary was from the Montgomery Clan (from the Plum Bridge area) - rumoured to be related to descendants of the famous General Bernard Montgomery "Monty" of WWII. At age 16 John fought in the US Civil War where he lost his arm. The index card to his military records in the Pennsylvania archives gives his age in 1863 as 38. The index card in the Washington DC archives gives his age as 28 in 1863. The 1901 Ireland Census has his age as 72. He was 45 years old when he married.
The date of John's emigration to the US is not known but he enlisted in the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company D for the Union Army on 19th September 1863 as a "substitute" for Mr. Armour Scott. Both North and South had conscription laws that allowed a drafted man to hire a "substitute" to serve his term in the army, wealthy men could evade service. Lincoln's called for 300,000 more young men to fight after the carnage of Gettysburg. The North's Enrollment Act (March 1863) contained several exemptions, including the payment of a $300 "commutation fee" that allowed wealthier and more influential citizens to buy their way out of service. This provision enraged many of the soldiers, who contended that it placed the burden of the war on those who could not afford to pay for a substitute. Not only did substitution fan class tensions, but it also failed to bring competent soldiers into the army. Some men even made a business of agreeing to substitute for one person, deserting, and then collecting money to substitute for someone else. Major riots on this Act happened in in New York in July 1863 and largely involved the Irish immigrant community.
Company D was lead by Lieutenant George A. Evans and was part of the 145th Pennsylvania Infantry under Lieut. Col. David B. McCreary. This unit was part of Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's Army of the Potomac (Maj. Gen. George G. Meade), 4th Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Army Corps and formed out of Erie, Pennsylvania. Starting in late 1863 until the end of May 1864, the 145th took part in the following troop movements and battles:
Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Auburn and Bristoe October 14. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. At Stevensburg until May, 1864. Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7. Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12. Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Corbin's Bridge May 8; Spottsylvania May 8-12; Po River May 10; Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21. Assault on the Salient May 12. North Anna River May 23-26. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Totopotomoy May 28-31.
During the winter's camp near Germannia Ford in 1863/1864, recruiting detachments returned to northwestern Pennsylvania in hopes of drawing new men into the depleted ranks. From the History of the 145th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, the regiment numbered over 700 as the spring campaign began.
The Order of Battle for the Wilderness Campaign in May 1864, Company D was part of the 145th Pennsylvania under Lieut. Col. David B. McCreary and Col. Hiram L. Brown. The Infantry was part of the 4th Brigade (under Col. John R. Brooke), 1st Division (Brig. Gen. Francis C. Barlow), 2nd Army Corps (Gen. Winfield S. Hancock).
John Mulberry's Enlistment Papers - September 19, 1863
John Mulberry's Discharge Papers - May 6, 1865
During fighting near Spotsylvania Court House on May 12 1864, the unit suffered large losses: 22 men killed, 107 wounded, and an additional 37 missing. Confederate casualties for the two-week long battle were estimated at 9,000-10,000 (combat strength: 63,000). Federal casualties were reported as slightly less than 18,000 (combat strength: 111,000).
The regiment was at Appomattox Court House April 9, 1865 for Lee's Surrender. They took part in the March to Washington, D.C., May 2-12 and the Grand Review May 23. The Regiment was mustered out May 31 1865.
John Mulberry was wounded at the Battle of Spotsylvania in May 1864 and had his right arm amputated above the elbow joint. He was discharged on May 6, 1865. The date of his injury is listed a year before - May 12th 1864 - circumstances unknown. This would indicate the injury could have occurred at the Battle for the Bloody Angle (Muleshoe Sector). From the 145th Regimental records the injury date was recorded as May 10th, 1863. This would indicate being wounded at the Assault on the Po River. From the Regimental records he was transferred to Company F, 53rd Regiment - likely in a support role. His military discharge certificate in 1865 gives his age as 38. He then returned to Ireland, as there is correspondence from the U.S. Consul in Londonderry to the Pension Office in Washington about payment of his pension. However, the records show that he returned to Philadelphia in June 1873 as there is an application to have his pension paid in that city. He lived at No. 2246 North 3rd St. along with an Alexander Mulberry (a weaver) who may have been a brother or cousin.
John returned to Ireland, and with his pension bought a farm 18 miles east of Londonderry near in north Teenaght/south of Craigdarragh. A standing stone named Daniel Dan is located near the homestead. He married Rachel Shaw (1863-1937) from Gilky Hill on the 13 Aug 1881 in Londonderry. Rachel was just 19 years old when they married. They had nine children; Martha Jane (1880-1952 Cregg), Rebecca (1884-1952 Tullintrain Orange Hall), John Alex (1886-? Tullintrain), Rachel (1889-1972 Tullintrain), Mary (Minnie 1892-? Tullintrain) , Isabella (Bella 1894-? Tullintrain), Cecillia (Cissie 1896-? Clagan), Sam (1898-?), and Annie Ruth (1900-1952 Teenaght). Rebecca, John, Sam and Bella eventually emigrated to Canada. Minnie moved to England. John is buried in Park in the Learmount Parish Church (built 1831). Rachel is buried at the Upper Cumber Church. The Blair's eventually bought the Mulberry farm and used it to store machinery. The Mulberry farm is no longer there but the area is still known in the area as the Mulberry Upper and Lower Fields.
The Campbell House (Aghalane House), is now relocated to the American Ulster Folk Park. It built by Hugh Campbell in 1786 on a farm near Plumbridge in County Tyrone. Above the front door Hugh placed two stone plaques, one bearing his name and the date of construction and the other bearing the arms of the Dukes of Argyle, indicating that the Campbells of Aghalane, who had arrived from Scotland some generations earlier, claimed kinship with their distinguished namesakes, the Campbells of Argyle.
Robert Campbell (1804-1879) was born in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. His father was Hugh Campbell, a farmer who died when Robert was six years old. His mother was Sarah Elizabeth Buchanan Campbell, who raised Robert and his five older brothers and sisters; Ann, Hugh, Andrew, Elizabeth, and James Alexander. There were also five half-siblings from Hugh Campbell's first marriage. The family's primary income was from the growing and processing of flax into linen fabric. Although the family owned their land and life had been comfortable while Hugh Campbell lived, financial matters were much more difficult after his death.
Robert became a fur trader in the Rocky Mountains (1822) and later a successful merchant in St. Louis Missouri. Robert followed his brother Hugh's example in making the eight-week voyage to the "new world" in 1818. Hugh would later become a successful merchant in Philadelphia.
Ten of Robert's children died in childhood. Three sons survived, Hugh (1847-1931), Hazlett (d.1938) and James Alexander (d.1890). However none had heirs. The house was donated to Yale University and the furnishings, lovingly maintained by the sons since the mid-19th century, were put up for public auction in St. Louis.
John Shaw married Martha Campbell in Upper Badoney Church of Ireland on 21 October 1827, her age is recorded as 19. Her father was John Campbell. John's father was William Shaw. There is a record of a John Campbell marrying a Rachel ? about 1828 in Plumbridge. This John was born in 1807.
Martha Campbell was somehow related to Robert Campbell. Many relatives in Ireland received an inheritance (up to £12,000). In a correspondence to Rebecca Mulberry, Joe Shaw, son of Martha and brother of Rachel Shaw tried, but could not get an inheritance.
Note Martha Jane married David Keys, Jan 1907 in Clonney. Rachel Mulberry married Robert Andrew Simpson, Nov 1912. Annie Ruth married John McFaul, Dec 1920. The 1858 Parish of Learmont shows the Blair's as occupiers of the land and John C. Hunter as the immediate Lessor.
Gortnaran Detailed Map
1 and 2. Possible Standing Stones near Rachel Shaw's house.
3. Rachel Shaw's house with shed in back - to the east is the Blue Bridge.
4. Spring where Ruby McPhee went for water.
5. Pig House where Annie Ruth kept pigs.
6. Road used to drive animals.
7. Rachel Shaw lived along this road before moving to Annie Ruth's.
8. Swimming and fishing place.
9. Rachel Shaw's burial place at Upper Cumber new burial ground. The cemetery is a short walk south down this road past Cumber Bridge diagonal from the church. John Mulberry was buried at Park.
Teenaght Detailed Map
1. Daniel Dan's Standing Stone.
2. Straidarran School where Rebecca went to school. Also diagonal across the street is the location of the Castle Pub where John Mulberry frequently visited.
3. Craigdarragh - a large estate.
4. Millbrook - a large estate and water wheel. The owner, Mr. Miller (Justice of the Peace) signed John Mulberry's death certificate.
5. John Mulberry's farmhouse - Lower/Upper Mulberry fields are to the north/south.
6. Montgomery's farmhouse.
7. Blair's farmhouse (they took over the Mulberry farm).
8. "Turn Hole" swimming location - Faughan River.
9. Warren Brothers local Post Office and General Store at Straidarran.
Sam Mulberry arrived in Montreal but later traveled to Toronto looking for a job. He decided to return to Ireland and eventually settled in Glasgow Scotland. Sam, his wife Sarah and daughter Violet Mulberry often visited Rachel Mulberry McPhee at Gortnaran one mile outside of Claudy. They may have lived with David Keys and Martha Jane Mulberry (?-1952), who married in 1909. In 1935 Ruby, Isabel and Rebecca visited Ireland and stayed with Rachel and Annie Ruth & John McFaul at Gortnaran (on the Claudy main road). Some of their memories are detailed in the two maps above.
Thanks to Ian Bartlett in Londonderry for some of this information. Ian's grandmother was Martha Jane, the eldest child of John & Rachel Mulberry. Martha Jane married David Keys. Ian's mother, Minnie (died 1982) was their eldest daughter. They lived on York Street in the Waterside area of Londonderry. Ruby, Earl, Glenn, Peter and Ross Chafe greatly enjoyed the guided tour Ian gave of County Derry from June 21 to 23, 2003.
MCPHEE/MULBERRY FAMILY PHOTO GALLERY
Daniel Dan's Standing Stone
Detail of Mulberry Field
(farmhouse location indicated)
Panorama of Mulberry Field
Farmhouse to left of water hole, Blair farm to the right.
Same house as in Jackie McFaul picture.
Original Blair Farmhouse
John Mulberry's grave provided by the U.S. government
Learmount Parish Church. Family photo taken July 2003.
Rachel Shaw Mulberry
Grave located at Upper Cumber Church
Mary Burnett McPhee & Aggie Hanan
Martha Jane Mulberry at her Wedding - 1909
Rachel Mulberry Simpson
Annie Mulberry, Mother of Jackie McFaul
Minnie, Cissie, Bella, Rachel, Annie & Sam about 1910
Bob McPhee & daughters Isabel (Isa) and Ruby in Scotland
Jackie McFaul in Ireland 1935
Rebecca Mulberry McPhee
Peter Bernett McPhee
Peter McPhee & Rebecca Mulberry
Peter, Mary, Isabel, Ruby, Jack & Rebecca McPhee 1930
Jack, Mary, Ruby, Rebecca, Isabel & Peter McPhee, early 1930
Rebecca, Ruby, Mary, Isabel & Peter McPhee 1932
Ruby, Rebecca, Jack, Peter, Mary & Isabel McPhee 1937
Mary, Isabel, Jack, Peter, Ruby & Rebecca McPhee 1938
Jack, Rebecca, Peter, Isabel, Mary & Ruby McPhee 1940
Ruby, Jimmy (front) and Jackie McFaul, Isabel and Irene Somers, in Ireland, 1935
Jack McPhee and Peggy Brown's Wedding with Isabel, Ruby, Rebecca, Peter & Mary McPhee, Gardenville United Church, Longueuil, QC
535 Quinn Blvd Home, Longueuil
Demolished in 2001
OTHER CHAFE/MCPHEE SCOTTISH/IRISH LINKSClan Montgomery are a Lowland clan of Anglo-Norman origin. Roger de Montgomery called "The Great" was father to another Roger, born about 1030 who was joint Regent of Normandy when William the Conqueror invaded England in 1066. Montgomery followed King William to England where he was created Earl of Arundel, he was later made Earl of Shropshire or Shrewsbury and the county of Montgomery is named after him. The first of the family in Scotland was Robert de Montgomerie who obtained a grant of the lands of Eaglesham in Renfrewshire, for some time the principal home of the Montgomeries.
His descendant John Montgomerie of Eaglesham was the distinguished warrior who captured Henry Percy called Hotspur at the Battle of Otterburn in 1388. With Percy's ransom he built the castle of Polnoon as well as acquiring the lands of Eglinton and Ardrossan through his marriage to Elizabeth of Eglinton. His grandson, Sir Alexander was created Lord Montgomerie and became a member of the King's council. Hugh, the 3rd Lord Montgomerie was created Earl of Eglinton in 1507. He was amongst those who opposed James III and fought at Sauchieburn in 1488, where the king lost his life. He also received the Isle of Arran with the custody of Brodick Castle. The 2nd Earl remained a devout Catholic at the Reformation and fought on the side of Mary Queen of Scots at her final defeat at Langside in 1568. He was declared guilty of treason and imprisoned in Doune Castle. When he was released he tried to secure the safety and toleration of Catholics in the wake of the Reformation.
Ironically his daughter Lady Margaret married Robert Seton, 1st Earl of Winton, a loyal Covenantor in the wars of Charles I and it was their son, Alexander Seton who took the name Montgomerie who became the 6th Earl of Eglinton. He was also a Presbyterian supporter and followed Charles II. He was imprisoned for his Royalist sympathies by General Monk in 1659 after the death of Cromwell however in the following year it was Monk himself who restored the monarch to his throne. The 9th Earl was one of the Privy Council of King William and later Queen Anne and during the rebellion of 1715 actively promoted the training of the fencible men of Ayrshire. The 11th Earl raised the 77th Foot Highlanders. The 13th Earl was renowned for his celebrated tournament at Eglinton Castle in 1839. The Montgomeries and the Cunninghams had one of the longest running feuds in Scotland; in the 16th century Eglinton House was burnt and the 4th Earl was killed by Cunninghams, finally it was resolved by the government.
Badge: A female figure, proper, anciently attired, azure, holding in her right hand an anchor, or, and in the left the head of a savage, couped, of the first.
Motto: Gardez bien (Look well)
Gaelic Name: MacGumerait.
Origin of Name: Place-name, Norman
Surnames: Montgomery, Mongomery, Montgomerie and Mungummery.
Clan Shaw was one of the principal clans of Clan Chattan. Shaw "Mor", great-grandson of Angus, 6th Chief of MacKintosh and Eva of Clan Chattan was, by tradition, the leader of Clan Chattan at the battle on North Inch, Perth, in 1396. Rothiemurchus was given to him as a reward but the lands were sold in the 16th century. His son, James, was killed at Harlaw in 1411 but his heir, Alasdair "Ciar" succeded him. Alasdair's brother, Adam (Ay), of Tordarroch was founder of Clan Ay. Tordarroch acted for Clan Shaw and at Inverness in 1543 and Termit in 1609 signed the Clan Chatten Bands. They supported Montrose and raised the Shaw contingent in the Jacobite rising of 1715. Alasdiar's second son, Alexander, was ancestor of Shaws of Dell; his third, James, of Shaws of Dalnavert; his fourth, Farquhar, was progenitor of the Clan Farquharson and the fifth, Iver, ancestor of the Shaws of Harris and the ilses. A new chief of Clan Shaw (21st) matriculated in the 1970 after a vacancy of 400 years; Tordarroch in Strathnairn is stil held.
Badge: A dexter arm, the hand holding a dagger in pale proper.
Motto: Fide et fortitudine (By fidelity and fortitude.
Gaelic Name: Mac Ghille-Sheathanaich.
Origin of Name: Gaelic seaghdha (pithy).
Plant Badge: Red whortleberry.
Clan Campbell, most probably derived from the Gaelic cam-beul (twisted mouth), is one of the oldest in the Highland, and a crown charter of 1368 acknowledges Duncan MacDuihbne as founder of the Campbells, who were established as Lords of Loch Awe. The founder of the Argyll line was Cailean Mór (d. 1294), whose descendant, Colin Campbell (d. 1493), 1st Earl of Argyll, married Isabel Stewart of Lorne. To this day the eldes son of the family has borne the title of Marquis of Lorne, and the marriage in 1871 of the Marquis, later 9th Duke of Argyll, to HRH Princess Louise, fourth daughter of Queen Victoria, is recalled by the two tartans bearing their names.
Throughout the fifteenth century the Campbells gave steady support to the Crown in an area where royal influence was under severe pressure, first from the rival Crown of Norway and then from the descendants of Somerled, former Lord of the Isles, with the eventual emergence of the Crown's most powerful rival in the MacDonald Lordship of the Isles. The Lordship of the Isls was broken by the Crown by the end of the fifteenth century, leaving the Campbells the main power in the area. Thereafter they continued to act as the chief instrument of central authority in the region. This long struggle for supremacy, and with it, the headship of the Gael, may be said to be the real cause for the ancient enmity between the Campbells and the MacDonalds.
Campbell support for central government brought rewards. In 1607 Archibald, seventh Earl of Argyll, was granted former MacDonald lands in Kintyre, while in 1615 Campbell of Cawdor was allowed to purchase Islay and most of Jura which had previously belonged to the Macleans of Duart.
Sir John Campbell (1635-1716), 11th Laird of Glenorchy, was created Earl of Breadalbane in 1681. Described as being "cunning as a fox, wise as a serpent, and supple as an eel... [who] knew neither honour nor religion but where they are mixed with interest", he was involved in the scheming which resulted in the Massacre of Glencoe, but no evidence of his guilt could be produced. His line was founded by the colourful crusader "Black" Colin Campbell (d. 1498), who received Glenorchy in 1432 from his father, Sir Duncan Campbell, who had ejected the MacGregors from the lands. The commander who actually carried out the infamous Massacre of the MacIan MacDonald's of Glencoe was a Campbell Chieftain of Glenlyon. The founder of the Cawdor branch, another Sir John Campbell (d. 1546). An orphan who had inherited her father's title of Thane of Cawdor, she was kidnapped in 1499 by Campbell’s father, Archibald (d. 1513), 2nd Earl of Argyll, and married to his son in 1510. The Campbells of Loudoun are descended from Sir Duncan Campbell, second of the first MacCailean Mór, who married a Crauford of Loudoun. The Earldom of Loudoun, created for John Campbell (1598-1663), politician, has since the eighteenth century descended through the female line.
Arguably the most famous Campbell of them all, Sir Colin Campbell (1792-1863), commander of the Highland Brigade at Balaclava, Commander-in-Chief during the Indian Mutiny, the hero of Lucknow and Cawnpore, was not strictly a Campbell at all, being born Colin MacLiver, son of a Glasgow carpenter. His mother was a Campbell, though, and when her brother, Colonel John Campbell, took the fifteen-year-old boy to be interviewed for the Army by the Duke of York, the Duke wrote his name down as Campbell. And Campbell it remained.
The Clan Campbell is now organized world-wide in several associations and societies connected to the Clan Campbell Federation. The current Chief is the twelfth Duke of Argyll and twenty-sixth Chief. Inveraray Castle is still his family home.
The name Campbell in Ireland originated with the Gallowglass (mercenaries maintained by Celtic chiefs from about 1235 to the 16th century) who moved into Ulster and later with more traditional settlers who arrived in the seventeenth century. The County Tyrone native Gaelic MacCathmhaoil Sept also adopted Campbell as the anglicized version of their name after the Plantations. Carn beul is a Scottish nickname derived from Gaelic cam = crooked, bent + beul = mouth, "crooked mouth". Gillespie O Duibhne was the first to have born the nickname, and founded clan Campbell at the beginning of the 13th century.
Campbell ranks among the top 10 most numerous names in Scotland, and among the 50 most popular in Ireland. Most of the name were found in the province of Ulster in Ireland. Some of the name came to Ireland as galloglass in centuries past, and all are given to be of Scottish origins when found in Ireland.
"Most Noble Duke Argyle" read the inset stone just up from the left side of the doorway of the Campbell home in Omagh, Northern Ireland. Young Robert Campbell (Feb 12, 1804 - Oct 16, 1879) stood at the front of the doorway looking from one stone to the other one on the right of the door. It read, "Hugh Campbell built this house in the year of our Lord 1786." In this year of 1812, the young boy wondered about his life and the values for which his family stood. The Argyle Clan had spread out across the low mountainous area just south of Londonderry in the mid-seventeenth century. The terrain of this area was very similar to the Scottish Highlands with its gently rounded hillsides, wide valleys, plateaus, and well drained pastures. They prospered. His mother, a Buchannan, traced her linage through Robert Stewart to Robert II, King of Scotland. With the death of his father four years before, Robert's older brother Hugh led the family while their mother instilled the principles of the Clan. "Vix ea nostra voco," she told the children time after time "I scarcely call these things our own" the principle of stewardship. Robert knew he had much to live up to. A gift from his father was to remind him of this all his own life - the Argyle signet ring which had the buckle and boar's head as its image. By the early 1820s, with life hard in Ireland and his brother's settling in the new world in 1818, Robert knew that his destiny could be found in America.
Robert Campbell came to St. Louis, Missouri in 1822. Afflicted with tuberculosis, the doctor advised clear mountain air. In 1825 and 1826 he trapped furs with Jedediah Smith in the Rocky Mountains. In 1827 led an expedition which resulted in a skirmish with the Blackfeet. In 1828 he trapped in Crow territory. In 1832 with William Sublette he trapped the Rockies and participated in the Pierre's Hole fight. In 1833 he took supplies to the Green River and began trading rather than trapping. Campbell attended the Fort Laramie Treaty, formed a regiment during the Mexican War and became a successful merchant in St Louis, Missouri owning a large amount of real estate. He became president of the Bank of Missouri and the Merchant's Bank, owner of the Southern Hotel, and one of the city's leading real estate men.
He also remembered his family and their legacy of honor. Robert believed in dealing with others honestly and fairly - Indian or white man. During the rest of his life, Robert's adventures did credit to his family and he never forgot them. He married and had thirteen children (ten of which died in childhood); became a millionaire in the fur trade, railroad business, and real-estate; served as a confident for six Missouri governors and three United States Presidents; became a colonel in the Missouri Militia; advocated for and was one of the few white men ever trusted by the Plains Indians (he became blood brother with a Flathead Indian) supported the Union during the Civil war, but also helped captured Southern soldiers who were friends of the family; led the Missouri relief efforts during the Irish Potato famine; became a leader in St. Louis Society; was trusted by all who met him. Robert Campbell was buried in the Bellefontaine Cemetery in St. Louis, MO.
Arms: Quarterly, 1st and 4th, Gyronny of eight Or and Sable (Campbell); 2nd and 3rd, a lymphad sails furled, oars in action Sable (Lorne)
Tartans: Campbell, Campbell of Breadalbane, Campbell of Cawdor, Campbell of Loudoun.
Branches: Campbell of Argyll, Campbell of Breadalbane, Campbell of Cawdor, Campbell of Loundoun
Mottos: (Argyll) Ne obliviscaris (Latin: Forget not); (Breadalbane) Follow me; (Cawdor) be mindful; (Loudoun) I byde my time.
Slogan: Cruachan (name of a mountain by Loch Awe)
Plant Badge: Bog Myrtle
Clan Burnett's are a NorthEast Scottish family, whose Chief, James C. A. Burnett of Leys, lives at The House of Crathes adjacent to the ancestral home, Crathes Castle, outside of Banchory, Scotland.
The Burnetts were never a sect of Clan Campbell, or any other clan, but were an independent family, who became wealthy from judicious marriages and land acquisitions. Although the family lived in a Highland area and many spoke the Gaelic, Burnetts were generally considered a powerful Lowland family and in the main spoke Scots.
They were originally an Anglo-Saxon family (BARNARD) who came to Scotland in the train of David I in the 12th century and first settled in the southern part of the country, where some remained to become the Burnetts of Barns. The chiefly branch traveled on to the Kincardineshire area (near Aberdeen), where they became the Burnetts of Leys. The family has been resident in the area since that time.
The current Laird is James Comyn Amhurst Burnett of Leys. Chief of the name and of the House of Burnett.
Crest: A cubit arm, the hand naked, vested vert doubled argent, pruning a vine tree with a pruning knife, proper.
Arms: Argen, three holly leaves in chief Vert, a hunting horn in base Sable, garnished Or, stringed Gules.
Tartan: Burnett, Burnett of Leys
Motto: Virescit Vulnere Virtus (Courage Flourishes at a Wound)
The motto is the same as for the Stewarts and probably owes its origins to Mary, Queen of Scots, who is said to have embroidered it on some material during her imprisonment by the English.
Plant Badge: A sprig of holly leaves.
Branches: Burnett of Leys, Burnett of Craigmyle, Burnett of Kemnay, Burnett of Crimond and Burnett of Monboddo.
Surnames: Burnet, Burrnette, MacBurnett, Barnet, Barnett, Bernette, Bernat, Burnit, as well as Barnard.
Mulberry, it is most likely that the family was based on Scottish immigrants related to the the Mowbray family. A complete description is covered on the Mowbray/Mulberry Family Lineage
According to Irish name books is a Gaelic name from County Derry derived from "Maoilbhearais" or "Servant of (St.) Barry." There was also found a connection with a Celtic surname from Cornwall (the once independent Celtic kingdom in SW England) where Mulberry was listed as an extinct surname from "Maol Bhrea" or "Top of the Hill." FamilySearch Internet Genealogy Service lists a good number of Mulberry's from the 1600s in SE England near London, indicating a non-Celtic English derivation for individuals there with the surname.
Shield: Red with a silver lion rampant.
Crest: A gold leopard.
Motto: "Suo Stat Rebore Virtus"
November 01, 2009